7/25/2008

I Really Hope The Fate of the World Doesn't End Up in their Hands

I like internet forums and am registered for quite a few but I rarely actually post any comments on sites unless I feel I need to. I guess for want of a better word some may call me a "lurker" but honestly, sometimes I just like reading other people's opinions. Most of the time I am impressed by thought out responses and so on but there's ONE site that I tend to visit just to laugh because I am in awe of some people's ignorance and lack of etiquette on the internet. I mean, when did it become ok to insult other people for just having a different opinion? Also, why can't people spell or use correct grammar anymore? I realize the way in which we connect with each other has changed but I do not think common courtesy should be neglected just because people are no longer speaking face to face with each other.

My main site of contention is IMdB, or the Internet Movie Database where you can find anything you need in regards to movies and actors. I don't know what it is about this site in particular but it seems to attract the boneheads of the universe. Seriously, I am always at a loss for words when I look over some of the forums there, people can post anything they want and usually do and there is always someone who trolls around to make trouble on the boards. You know what? If you don't like the thread or something, move on and live your life - don't obsess over something and try to convert everyone to your views.
Honestly, I cannot believe what gets written - I mean, are there no moderators on this site? I really have issues about the world we live in because I believe that this site kind of reflects the society in which we live in.

On the other hand, one of the the best sites out there, in my own humble opinion is Television Without Pity, where you can go and be happy and talk about your favourite shows in a peaceful environment. I have never encountered anyone on that site who was insulting to another's opinion. I don't really know why there is such a difference but I think perhaps it is due to an older crowd. Also, I think they moderate what gets written pretty sternly so users have to be respectful or they get banned, which I am very thankful for. I know there are people who are out there who are totally "live free or die hard" and look upon this as censorship but I am not one of those people in the sense that I also believe there should be some order. I am not talking about policing the internet but when there's a public forum and everyone has different opinions then you should read what the other person has to say and go on with your life instead of dwelling on it and spending precious hours trying to convert those people to your way of thinking. People seem to invest a lot of time doing this and there comes a point where you just think to yourself - let it go... go for a walk around your house or something.

No comments: